28 July, 2009

Back at the Ranch SOLD



Our stay in Alabama is almost over for now. We leave for San Antonio soon but will be back in September. This painting is of a view from my friend's ranch out by Helotes. Anyway--thought you might like to see how I set up for a painting. First I take lots of photos and mask off using painters tape. This is how I determine my basic shape for the painting and zone in on the focal point. Then I do a value drawing and often shuffle things around and simplify to get my final design. I find by doing the sketch I often will notice shapes and colors that I didn't notice before. I then can exagerate or eliminate to make a stronger design. For instance in this painting I made the background mountain have a more graceful shape and added some variation in the sky color.

No comments: