Hollyhocks



So here is the large 22"x32" painting I am working on. I started with the photo and a drawing made from that. What I like about this photo is the window in shadow with the flowers coming in and out of the bright light. The canvas I am using is a bit more boxy than the proportions of the drawing so I decided to add a bit more of the window.
First I established my focal point by painting the hollyhock in the brightest light. I pretty much finish this part exactly as I want it. The darkest darks and lightest lights of the painting will be in this area so that your eye is drawn there even though you may travel around the painting enjoying different colors and shapes. At this point I am not happy about the color of the window--too blue, but will let it dry and work on it tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts